Ћирилица     Latinica   
Name: Viminacium
Municipality: Požarevac
Location (place, town, city): Kostolac
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Regional Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments, Smederevo
CR No.: AS 140
Date of inscription in the CR: 12.10.2004
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Archaeological sites
Year/period of construction: 1st century

The remains of a Roman town of Viminacium and a legionnaires camp are in the vicinity of a village Stari Kostolac, 12km from Pozarevac. As a capital of the Upper Moesia province, it was an important military and administrative centre.
The military camp, where the VII Claudia legion was posted, and the settlement were built in the second half of 1st century A.D. The right to mint its own coins the settlement acquired from 239 A.D. In the mid 4th century it became an episcopal seat with two bishops, Amantin and Chiriac. In 441 the Huns destroyed the town, marking the end of economic and cultural development of Viminacium. In 535 Justinian renewed the town on the left bank of the Mlava river, building a smaller military fortification.
Investigations of the area revealed about 13,000 graves with over 40,000 archaeological items, as well as some architectural remains. The first archaeological excavations were conducted in 1884, then in 1902-03. They were picked up once again in 1972, whereas protective works and excavations have been continuously going on since 1977.