Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Ulpiana
Municipality: Priština
Location (place, town, city): Gračanica
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Office for the Preservation of the Cultural Heritage in Kosovo and Metohija, Leposavić
CR No.: AS 124
Date of inscription in the CR: 22.04.1955
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Archaeological sites
Year/period of construction: 98 - 118 year

The remains of the Roman and late Byzantine town of Ulpiana cover an area of 35ha on the Gradina site, near Gračanica (Kosovo and Metohija).
The Roman town ramparts were of an irregular rectangular ground plan. To the north and south of the town, there used to be necropolises and to the north-east, a square ground plan camp. Foundation of the town is associated with the rule of Trajan (98-118). Originally a small mining settlement grew into a town with a status of a Roman municipium. Very early, Ulpiana became a seat of a diocese. After a restoration by Justinian in the mid 6th century, Ulpiana was named Iustiniana Secunda. The town was completely destroyed in the attacks of Avars and Slavs in the late 6th and early 7th century.
Archaeological trench testing, started in 1953 and followed by conservation works, revealed a one-nave basilica with a crypt, baths, a section of a temple with a marble sarcophagus and the remains of a floor mosaic with a name of the donor.