Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Golubac fortress
Location (place, town, city): Smederevo
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Regional Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments, Smederevo
CR No.: CM 977
Date of inscription in the CR: 05.03.1993
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Cultural monument
Year/period of construction: XIV century

The fortress is on the right bank of the Danube, on the very entrance to the Djerdap gorge, near Golubac in eastern Serbia. It was built along the rocky slopes of smaller hill, an extension of the Homolje mountains. The fortress ramparts follow the line of the terrain.

There are nine massive towers, interconnected with the ramparts, positioned to defend the fortress from both the land and the river side. The exact time of its construction has not been established, but in 1335 it was first mentioned in some written documents. The Golubac fortress was under the Hungarians, the Turks and finally the Serbian state.

Investigation and conservation works started in 1969 to be completed in 1987.