Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Nerodimlje, remains of a Byzantine palace
Municipality: Uroševac
Location (place, town, city): Nerodimlje
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Office for the Preservation of the Cultural Heritage in Kosovo and Metohija, Leposavić
CR No.: CM 1417
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Cultural monument
Year/period of construction: 4th century

A Byzantine basilica is on a burial site between Gornje and Donje Nerodimlje (Upper and Lower Nerodimlje), Kosovo and Metohija, some dozen meters north of the St Nicholas’ Church. Until archaeological investigations in 1988, it had been assumed that the structure were the ruins of a palace of King Milutin, so the monument was placed under protection as a Byzantine palace.
The excavations revealed sections of a monumental structure, with a floor decorated in mosaics and the walls in frescoes. On its west wall an arch was made with figures of the seven Greek sages and their names and lines of wisdom written in Latin.
The structure was built in 4th century, while the mosaic floor was made in the Justinian period. For its monumental appearance, the building was used in the following periods, which gives grounds to an assumption that it could have housed a palace of the 14th century Serbian rulers.