Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Sirmium
Municipality: Sremska Mitrovica
Location (place, town, city): Sremska Mitrovica
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Sremska Mitrovica
CR No.: AS 106
Date of inscription in the CR: 22.12.1993
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Archaeological sites
Year/period of construction: 1st century

The remains of the ancient town of Sirmium lie beneath the present Sremska Mitrovica in Srem (Vojvodina).
From 1st – 6th century, the town is an important administrative centre of the Pannonia Secunda province, and also an occasional imperial residence and a bishopric centre of an early Christian period. It gained the status of a colony at the period of the Flavius dynasty. In the late 4th century the barbarians invade the area: Goths, Huns and Gepids, and after the Avar attack, the population moved away, leaving the town to be destroyed by fire.
The first minor excavations were done in the late 19th century and the systematic investigations and conservation started in 1957 and have continued up to the present day. So far, 85 site have been recorded and investigated. The ancient town was large, enclosed by the ramparts and moats. Inside there were the imperial palace, horse track, baths, a granary, a trade and crafts centre, a necropolis and other structures where numerous objects have been discovered, stone decoration, epigraphic monuments and sarcophagi. The remains of the villa urbina, a section of the granary (horreum) and the remains of St Dimitrios temple have been conserved as an integral part of modern buildings.