Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Bač, St Paul’s Roman catholic church
Municipality: Bač
Location (place, town, city): Bač
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Novi Sad
CR No.: CM 1087
Date of inscription in the CR: 24.02.1995
Category: NCM of great value
Type: Cultural monument
Year/period of construction: 1773/1780

The church was built between 1773 and 1780 and then extensively renewed in 1838. In the 1923 fire the roof and the tower were damaged and the present look dates from 1937. It is of harmonious proportions, built in the baroque style. It is of a one-nave structure with a semicircular altar apse lower than the nave and in its north side a sacristy was built. The three short columns, decorated by pilasters with Ionian capitals, divide the interior into three bays. Façade decorations are simplified, more representative at the west side, with a tall two-storey bell tower.

The old altar screen, dating from the times the church was renewed, is replaced with a new, neo renaissance one. However, a representation of the Apostle Paul’s Vision on the Road to Damascus, by Jozef Peskia, has been preserved from the old screen. At the side altar there is a painting of St Joseph, done by Jovan Klajic in 1847. About the same time, a painting of St Florian was done by Jos Shoft.