Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Mediaeval town of Ras
Location (place, town, city): Novi Pazar
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Kraljevo
CR No.: CM 534
Date of inscription in the CR: 28.06.1983
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Cultural monument
Year/period of construction: 12th century

The mediaeval fortress of Ras is 11km to the west from Novi Pazar, near the confluence of the Sebečevska and Raška rivers, on a hill called Gradina. The fortress ramparts are of an irregular elongated shape, 180m long, 20-60m wide and 7m high. Along the crenelated rampart top there used to be a walkway. The main tower, of a semi-circular shape, used to be positioned on the south, at the most easily accessible section of the fortress.

The town may have appeared in the period of John II Komnenos (1118-1143). In the first half of 12th century it was the stronghold of the Serbian state. After systematic archaeological excavations, the whole fortress underwent conservation.