Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: The Monastery of the Patriarchate of Pec
Municipality: Pec
Location (place, town, city): Pec
Institute: The Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia – Belgrade
Regional institute: Office for Preservation of Cultural Heritage in Kosovo and Metohija
Year of inscription - Note: Inscribed on the UNESCO List of World Heritage in Danger in 2006
CR No.: SК 1370
Date of inscription in the CR: 30.12.1997
Decision on declaring the monument as NCM: Decision of the Institute for Protection and Scientific Research of the Cultural Monuments in Belgrade, no. 428, dated October 25, 1947.
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Cultural monument
Year/period of construction: The third decade of the 13th century
Show map

The Monastery of the Patriarchate of Pec is located at the very entrance of the Rugova gorge
near Pec. The complex of the Pec churches is the spiritual seat and mausoleum of Serbian archbishops and patriarchs. The temple of the Holy Apostles was built by Archbishop Arsenije I in the third decade of the 13th century. He was also responsible for the painting of the church around 1260. Archbishop Nikodim built the temple of St. Dimitrije next to the northern side of the church of Holy Apostles between 1321 and 1324, while Archbishop Danilo II built the churches dedicated to Virgin Odigitrija and St. Nikola on its southern side. He also built the monumental narthex in the shape of a magnificent open porch in front of the western facades of the churches of St. Dimitrije, Holy Apostles and Holy Virgin Odigitrija. At the time of Patriarch Makarije Sokolovic, the elegant openings with dual arcades were walled up. An entire history of the styles of medieval wall painting can be seen on the walls of the Pec churches. The church of the Holy Apostles was also decorated around 1300, then around 1350 and 1375 and twice in the 17th century. The church of St. Dimitrije was painted for the first time at the time of Patriarch Joanikije, around 1345, and the new layer of frescoes was painted by Georgije Mitrofanovic around 1619-1620. The church of Holy Virgin Odigitrija was painted before 1337, while its narthex was painted in the 14th and 16th centuries. The church of St. Nikola was painted by painter Radul in 1673/1674. The monastery is  on permanent conservation.