Ћирилица     Latinica   
Name: Holy archangel’s monastery
Municipality: Prizren
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Office for the Preservation of the Cultural Heritage in Kosovo and Metohija, Leposavić
CR No.: CM 1366
Date of inscription in the CR: 30.12.1997
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Cultural monument
Year/period of construction: 1340/1360

The monastery of Holy Archangels was built in the Bistrica river gorge, not far from Prizren (Kosovo and Metohija), in the mid 14th century, as an endowment of King Stefan Dusan. The main Holy Archangels church and the royal tomb occupy the central area of the complex. The church is a spacious three-nave structure of a cruciform ground plan. The church interior is fresco painted and there used to be sculptured decorations, particularly around the King Dusan’s grave.
The monastery complex used to be protected by the ramparts. Those along the river bank supported residential quarters and other monastery buildings inside the complex. On a hill above the complex there are ruins of the Višegrad fortification, which used to be called Prizrenac or Upper Town. Recently archaeological excavations have been carried out on both sites because of the renewal of the residential quarters and St Nicholas church.