Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Fortress of Zvečan
Municipality: Kosovska Mitrovica
Location (place, town, city): Zvečan
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Office for the Preservation of the Cultural Heritage in Kosovo and Metohija, Leposavić
CR No.: CM 1416
Date of inscription in the CR: 30.12.1997
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Cultural monument
Year/period of construction: 16th century

The mediaeval town of Zvečan is near the confluence of the Sitnica and Ibar rivers, nearby Kosovska Mitrovica, Kosovo and Metohija. It was built on a rocky cone-shaped hill, dominating over a valley which used to be a significant caravan crossroads. It is not clear when it was first built, but it was first mentioned in connection with border fights between the Serbs and Byzantines in Kosovo Polje between 1091 and 1094.
The Zvečan fortress ground plan is adapted to the terrain it built on and is of irregular, elongated shape. On its highest point in the Upper Town there are remains of the St George’s church, a water tank and the main, octagonal tower.