Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Starčevo – town
Municipality: Pančevo
Location (place, town, city): Starčevo
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Pančevo
CR No.: AS 104
Date of inscription in the CR: 22.12.1993
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Archaeological sites
Year/period of construction: Neolithic

The site is on the left bank of the Danube, north-west from the village of Starčevo, 8km south-east from Pančevo (Vojvodina). Because of an outstanding significance of the finds on the site, the early Neolithic culture on the area of the central Balkan was named the Starčevo Culture.
Pits and dugouts of ellipsoid and circular shapes were found, 2-6m in diameter, some with hearths. In the settlement itself, among the dugouts, there were several graves with buried bodies in a crouched position. Besides a great number of stone and bone tools and weapons, there were pottery objects painted in white, black and red. The first systematic investigations were conducted in 1931-32 in collaboration with the Belgrade National Museum and the Harvard University.