Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Bač, Franciscan monastery
Municipality: Bač
Location (place, town, city): Bač
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Novi Sad
CR No.: CM 1014
Date of inscription in the CR: 22.12.1993
Category: Immovable cultural monuments
Type: Cultural monument
Year/period of construction: 1140/1160

The Franciscan monastery complex in Bač was founded by the Templars in the second half of 12th century and in the early 14th century it was taken over by the Franciscan monks. During the Turkish rule the church was turned into a mosque and in 1688 it was taken by the Franciscans from Gradovrh, Bosnia. The Assumption of the Virgin Mary’s church is a one-nave building with a massive bell tower with the elements of the Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and even Islamic architectures, whereas the residential quarters were built in the baroque style of the first half of 18th century.

Among numerous works of art, there is a painting the Last Supper from 1737, an icon Virgin of Tenderness (glykophilousa) of Italo-Cretan school, work of a master Dima (1685) and many hand written and printed books from 17th and 18th centuries, the so-called Biblioteca Slavica (Croatica), as well as some sculptures and service garments. Research and conservation works have been going on since 1955. Since 2006, as part of the Centuries of Bač Project, research and conservation works are underway on paintings and architecture.