Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Vučitrn fortified castle
Municipality: Vučitrn
Location (place, town, city): Vučitrn
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Office for the Preservation of the Cultural Heritage in Kosovo and Metohija, Leposavić
CR No.: CM 1374
Date of inscription in the CR: 30.12.1997
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Cultural monument
Year/period of construction: 1402 - 1426 year

The remains of a fortified castle are located in Vučitrn, on the right bank of the river Sitnica, in the north-west of Kosovo Polje, Kosovo and Metohija.
According to a legend, the castle belonged to the Vojinović’s, a Serbian family of noblemen of 14th century. The sources record that between 1402 and 1426 there used to be a court of the Branković family, where they received envoys and issued charters. In the early 15th century Vučitrn was a big town with a colony of Dubrovnik merchants and businessmen. In 1439 the place was conquered by the Turks and managed to keep it, on and off, as long as 1912.
The remains of the ramparts have been preserved up to 6m high. There is a tower only in the middle of the east rampart and is known as the Vojinović Tower.