Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Belgrade fortress
Municipality: Stari Grad (Kalemegdan 14)
Location (place, town, city): Belgrade
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Belgrade City Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments
CR No.: CM3
Date of inscription in the CR: 15.06.1981
Decision on declaring the monument as NCM: Decision Belgrade City Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments 290/4 od 31.05.1965
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Cultural monument
Year/period of construction: as a fortified area developing from the 1st to the 18th centuries

The Belgrade Fortress is located on a vantage geostrategic position, on a hill above the confluence of the Danube and the Sava rivers. The growth of the fortress may be followed by tracing the material remains through epochs: from an ancient castrum to a Byzantine castle, up to a modern 18th fortification. In the late 1st century A.D., the place was used for a military camp of the IV Flavia legion, later to be revived during the rule of the Emperor Justinian. In the early 7th century, the Slavs arrive to Singidunum, but the name of Belgrade (Beograd) does not appear in historic documents until the year 878. Belgrade sees significant growth in the early 15th century, when during the rule of Despot Stefan Lazarevic it becomes the capital of Serbia.

The mediaeval fortress had its inner fortification at the north-west section of the Upper Town, then the east and west settlements below the fort, a vast Lower Town and ports on the Sava and the Danube. The Belgrade Fortress has been a subject of archaeological investigations since 1936, whereas the conservation works have been going on since the 1950’s.