Ћирилица     Latinica   
IMMOVABLE CULTURAL MONUMENTS DATA BASE
Name: Bač fortress
Municipality: Bač
Location (place, town, city): Bač
Institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia
Regional institute: Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Novi Sad
CR No.: SCHES 52
Date of inscription in the CR: 30.12.1997
Category: NCM of outstanding value
Type: Spatial cultural and historic ensembles and sites
Year/period of construction: 14th century

The mediaeval fortification of Bač used to comprise the fortress and the lower town, all built on the Mostonga river meander, a natural defence spot. The area includes an archaeological site of several strata continuing from the late Neolithic period. The fortification had an important administrative, military and religious role and was actually a nucleus to the mediaeval town development. A section of the fortification dates back to the period from 1338 to 1342, the reign of a Hungarian king, Charles Robert of Anjou. However, the building of the ramparts and the towers and their reinforcement started in the mid 15th century and lasted until the Turkish invasion in 1529.

In 1686, the fortress, without any serious damage, was liberated from the Turks, but was destructed during the Rakoczy rising in 1704, when it was blasted by the Austrians. The Bač fortress was built of brick, of an irregular pentangle plan, with circular and square shape towers at its corners. The only free standing tower is the powerful defence donjon. At the entrance gates there was a barbican tower. Archaeological investigations and the renovations have been going on since 1958 and since 2003, as part of the Centuries of Bač Project, research on the chronology of the complex building and revitalisation are underway.